255DC - broken windshield in rough seas

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
Jorgegg
Boat Year: 2014
Boat Mfg: World at
Boat Model: 255dc

255DC - broken windshield in rough seas

Postby Jorgegg » Sat May 21, 2016 9:10 pm

I was out on my 2014 255DC this last FRI and got caught traversing back home thru a front that pushed seas to 4 to 5 feet. I experienced a hard landing on the starboard side first and heard the middle part of the windshield crack (latter it shattered into pieces). It's the one that swings out in the middle, the larger pieces were intact. Has anyone ever had this occurred to them? I'm waiting for the dealer to reply regarding the repair and if WorldCat may cover this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm just curious more than anything since I've not experienced nor heard this happen before to a boater. I've been boating for over 20 years and spent time in the coast guard as well helping many folks out and never seen this before. I guess there's a first time for everything.

FishPirate
Boat Year: 2002
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 246 DC

Re: 255DC - broken windshield in rough seas

Postby FishPirate » Sun May 22, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm not sure about your situation but I have the older version of your boat, a 246DC. I had a situation awhile back that almost cost me a center glass. Like you I was running in some sizable chop but not launching and everybody on board was ok with the ride. We hit one that was a little odd and the hull flexed enough to cause the two outer window frames to separate enough to let the center section to drop in and the the outer frames came back tight grabbing the outer frame flange of the center section. Getting it back out without breaking the glass was a test. The guy in the mates seat noticed it when it happened and got me to stop. If we had kept running with it in that situation I'm quite sure I would have been glass shopping.

The good thing about that piece of glass, on mine anyway, is that it is flat so just a generic piece of automotive grade tempered glass will work. Pretty cheap really.
Life is short...Death is long...Go fishing Now!
2002 WC 246DC W/2004 Honda 150's, dual Lowrance HDS 7s w/StructureScan, Simrad radar, Raymarine SG2 AP

highroller
Boat Year: 2004
Boat Mfg: world cat
Boat Model: 25dc

Postby highroller » Sun May 22, 2016 3:38 pm

I also have a 24 DC,a 2005 model and I also have had problems with the center section of my windshield falling in in rough seas. World Cat sent me a strip of metal that fit on the side of the center section that made it a little wider and prevented it from falling n when the hull would flex in rough seas. That being fixed just last year the corner of the windshield on the port side on the bottom where the center attaches separated due to metal failure and not enough metal to hold the screws that held it together . Our aluminum fabricator here in Jacksonville was able to weld it on the corner ,it doesn't look the best but it is still together . He said do not run in rough seas with the center section open since closed of offers support to whole windshield. If it breaks again I don't know what it will cost to fix so we are trying to take good care of it. Good luck with yours. High Roller
25 DC 2004 Garmin 182,Raymarine600 150'Hondas, Jacksonville,fl

Jorgegg

Postby Jorgegg » Sun May 22, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks for the responses. Still waiting to hear from dealer, and I was thinking of repairing the glass only but the frame as well was damage. Hope it does not cost an arm and a leg if I need to pay for that section.

FishPirate
Boat Year: 2002
Boat Model: 246 DC

Postby FishPirate » Mon May 23, 2016 7:03 pm

highroller wrote:I also have a 24 DC,a 2005 model and I also have had problems with the center section of my windshield falling in in rough seas. World Cat sent me a strip of metal that fit on the side of the center section that made it a little wider and prevented it from falling n when the hull would flex in rough seas. That being fixed just last year the corner of the windshield on the port side on the bottom where the center attaches separated due to metal failure and not enough metal to hold the screws that held it together . Our aluminum fabricator here in Jacksonville was able to weld it on the corner ,it doesn't look the best but it is still together . He said do not run in rough seas with the center section open since closed of offers support to whole windshield. If it breaks again I don't know what it will cost to fix so we are trying to take good care of it. Good luck with yours. High Roller

Could you post a picture of that addition so I could incorporate it to my window frame?
Life is short...Death is long...Go fishing Now!
2002 WC 246DC W/2004 Honda 150's, dual Lowrance HDS 7s w/StructureScan, Simrad radar, Raymarine SG2 AP

Current Obsession
Boat Year: 2008
Boat Model: 250DC

Postby Current Obsession » Tue May 24, 2016 6:51 pm

I have a 2008 250DC and several years ago on trip from Miami to Bimini I had not only the windshield on the starboard side pop out of the frame but the self tapping screws attaching the frame to the bulkhead pulled out. Fortunately the windshield did not break. I thru bolted the frame to the bulkhead and fabricated corner gusset plates to the lower corners and thru bolted them also. My wife will not make a crossing with me since this happened, too scary for her. She flies over and meets me in Bimini.
Current Obsession 2008 World Cat 250DC w/Yamaha 150's and Garman 4210 Chartplotter, XM Weather, Sonar,18HD Radar and Autopilot

highroller
Boat Year: 2004
Boat Mfg: world cat
Boat Model: 25dc

Postby highroller » Tue May 24, 2016 8:54 pm

I will try to get a picture of it when I get back after the Memorial Day holiday. It is just a approx one inch wide strip of aluminum the length of the center section of the windshield.if I remember right it slides in the grove on that section. It does keep the center section from falling in as the boat flexes in rough seas. Good luck with yours. High Roller
25 DC 2004 Garmin 182,Raymarine600 150'Hondas, Jacksonville,fl

HAMMY
Boat Year: 2006
Boat Mfg: WORLDCAT
Boat Model: 33 TE

Postby HAMMY » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Same thing happen to me in 2008 replace with lexan from home depot . Worked for years till i sold the boat. good luck kenny

DAY_OFF
Boat Year: 2005
Boat Mfg: WORLDCAT
Boat Model: 250DC

Postby DAY_OFF » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Me Too, launched of a big wave at an inlet and the hull flexed and the center windshield just fell in and shattered tempered glass. WC provided a slide on short extension and I always now keep the windshield closed and latched under power. Yes I did replace the glass with Plexiglas and it is much lighter. Mine is 2005 and it happened the first year. I am kinda surprised its still a problem 10 years later.
2005 250 DC, 150 Hondas, Garmin 741XS, Simrad AP16,
Sitex ADF, Icom 422, Canon Electric Downriggers

Jorgegg

Postby Jorgegg » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments.

FYI - I finally got a quote and the replacement cost is close to 1K! I can't believe it's that much for a piece of glass and the frame around it, but there are no other options (short of doing without it). It takes 6 weeks plus, and it's directly from the manufacture (taylor made).

Return to “Cat Talk”