New 295cc Building

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
kawakibi
Boat Year: 2016
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 295cc

New 295cc Building

Postby kawakibi » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi to all of you Cat owners. This will be my 6th boat, but my 1st Cat hull. I have been looking to get one for a long time. Finally did it :D Very excited and expect delivery in a few weeks. I am sure I'll have many questions. I am happy to find this forum.

I do mostly reef fishing from Key Largo, some deep drop and very few Swordfish trips. Hopefully with my new boat, I'll also do Bimini & Bahamas a few times a year.

Transducer - not sure what to go with. Either 2- thru hull (1 on each side) b175HW & b175L or just get the big shoot thru 275lhw that does it all. Any suggestions?

The electronics plan is:
Garmin 7612xsv x 2
Garmin Radar Open Array GMR424 (Anyone like the dome, it will save me $2k)
Garmin Auto Pilot

Also plan to add 3 or 4 rocket launcher rod holders on each side of the back of the transom. Hopefully they will be ok when the engine trims up.

The boat itself will be Ice Blue full hull with underside of top too. No life vest net so you can see the color and hold on to those pipes. Blue underwater lights. Bow sun cushion option for the wife on the sand bar day. Outriggers.

Hopefully I'll post some pics when she arrives!
Paul
2016 World Cat 295cc - Yamaha 300's

off gassing
Boat Year: 2005
Boat Mfg: worldcat
Boat Model: 27 TE honda 225

Re: New 295cc Building

Postby off gassing » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:04 am

Paul that sounds like a real nice setup. I have been running cats for past 15 years and a 27TE for past ten years, i love the Worldcat. These boats are strong and well made, mine has been through more adverse conditions than most and always brings me home.
I have the mushroom style thru hull transducer that gives me good sounding in the 100-200 range that we fish in. This style of transducer also allows me to trailer the boat back and forth to the ramp.
Im also a Garmin person running a radar dome on my boat. I mainly use my radar to keep me from hitting an unlit marker or boat while running at night. The dome antenna set on a low range does this very well. So it depends on what you need it for and what you want to spend on it. I will say the open array does look cooler and my friends that have big pockets and big boats all run this style even though most of them would never go out at night.
Hope this helps you.

Billablehours
Boat Year: 2013
Boat Model: 290 CC

Postby Billablehours » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:41 pm

Here are a few of my suggestions for what they are worth.
An open array is much better for searching for birds but you need at least a 4' array and 6kw minimum. If you are just using it for navigation a dome will likely do what you need.
I have the 1000 watt shoot thru transducer and it works ok. At speed at depth over 400' you will lose bottom but when you slow down it works fairly well. If there is a through hull that fits without disturbing the water flow to the engines that would be nice.
Have WC substitute another fold out cabinet in the port gunnel instead of the lure tubes that just waste space. Likewise, substitute the leader holders for another set of the Plano tackle box holders. The space is much better utilized that way and You can always put leader in the drawers.
Consider adding a rear hardtop support with rod holders. It gives extra support, additional rod storage and another place for passengers to hold on.
Losing the hardtop life preserver storage may look good but you will miss the additional storage from wherever you have to put your safety gear.
I have found those pop up fender cleats to be a pain in the butt. They catch on clothes if you ever slide off the gunnels and seem to pop up all the time.
JL Audio speakers sound much better and even the low power ones are a big improvement.
Go ahead and get Sirius radio while you are at it.
Get the white outboards. They look better, are easier to keep clean and stay much cooler.
You are going to love your boat!
2013 290CC. Suzuki DF250AP's
Big Pine Key and Orlando, Fl.

kawakibi

Postby kawakibi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks for the replies, great info.

I'll prob get the 4' open 4kw - people say this can see birds too. I'll prob never use it. Its about $2k more for array vs dome. But that 6kw is way too much for me.

Transducers will prob be the thru hull b175's - they said these can be trailered no problem & no water flow issues. They are very thin.

I agree with the fold out cabinets - some are just a waste of space. I was not aware that you can swap out the insides for other cabinets. I will ask dealer about this. Thanks!

Although, I want extra rod holders, I do not want the T-Top support bars. I was on both boats (with & without) and felt more open space without them. I will be fine with the transom mounted rod holders. Let my passengers hang on!

They got rid of the pop-up cleat holders on the 2016. Also, the 2016 comes with the new Fusion stereo with JL Speakers standard. I wish I could afford white outboards, they look awesome.

Boat was ordered mid-July. According to Jorge & Chris at Unique Marine its a few more weeks. They have been awesome with my deal & trade!

Billablehours

Postby Billablehours » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:46 am

I have stopped by Unique several times. They seem like good people.
I replaced the cabinets myself. The place that manufactures them (Teak Isle Mfg/boatoutfitters.com) is just outside of orlando and I was able to just buy them so I'm sure they can be swapped out at the factory.
I had a 4' 4kw open on one of my Bertram's. It was marginal at finding birds off Walkers and Guana only if the flock was big enough. That was an old Furuno though.
I'm sure thru hulls will perform better than the shoot thru.
Watch for hard top wiggle if you are not adding supports.
I love my Garmin 12" set up.
image.jpg
image.jpg

NIGHTIDES

Postby NIGHTIDES » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 am

Billablehours wrote:An open array is much better for searching for birds but you need at least a 4' array and 6kw minimum. If you are just using it for navigation a dome will likely do what you need.

X2

I have seen serious birders with a 4' array and 12kw on their WC.

wdlfbio
Boat Year: 2011
Boat Model: 290C

Postby wdlfbio » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:37 pm

We live in fog most mornings or afternoons, within a few miles of our shore usually. My Garmin 24HD dome works just fine. Either say you want to see birds and get the right tool or get a dome and save the cash. I don't think it's worth 1/2 way.
2011 290CC with twin F250s, Garmin 5212, 24HD, GHP10, and full spray curtains. Float-On HD tandem axle trailer

Billablehours

Postby Billablehours » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 am

wdlfbio wrote:We live in fog most mornings or afternoons, within a few miles of our shore usually. My Garmin 24HD dome works just fine. Either say you want to see birds and get the right tool or get a dome and save the cash. I don't think it's worth 1/2 way.

What he said. My 24hd does fine for navigation and storms but no birds. A 4' open with only 4kw power is really marginal for anything more and costs significantly more. If you are going to spend the money on an open array go for the gusto or you will always be frustrated. At least that is my experience. Of course, if the cool factor is what you are looking for an open array satisfies that goal.

I have my Suzukis adjusted for max tilt and I'm sure you could get some transom rod holders from Ashley Welding mounted without interfering.

NIGHTIDES

Postby NIGHTIDES » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Billablehours wrote:
wdlfbio wrote:We live in fog most mornings or afternoons, within a few miles of our shore usually. My Garmin 24HD dome works just fine. Either say you want to see birds and get the right tool or get a dome and save the cash. I don't think it's worth 1/2 way.

What he said. My 24hd does fine for navigation and storms but no birds. A 4' open with only 4kw power is really marginal for anything more and costs significantly more. If you are going to spend the money on an open array go for the gusto or you will always be frustrated. At least that is my experience. Of course, if the cool factor is what you are looking for an open array satisfies that goal.

What they both said..!

If you want to 'bird', go no lower than 4' open 6Kw. Any lower, just get the best binoculars you can afford.

kawakibi

Postby kawakibi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Didn't think so many people used this forum. Glad to see we have a good support group here.

I was thinking to get these transom rod holders: Taco Adjustable. They are adjustable and come in 3 or 4 config. I am going to wait for boat to arrive to see how the aluminum looks. The only thing I don't like about these is that they are a little white looking because of the brush finish and I rather have them match the boat. So I may end up at a custom shop. But these look and feel solid even though they are adjustable. Glad I have room for them because this boat is really lacking rod holders on the T-Top.

Return to “Cat Talk”