Water in the Bilge Using Armstrong Deck Plates

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
Stan
Boat Year: 2000
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 266SC, 130 Hondas, JRC radar 6 kw

Water in the Bilge Using Armstrong Deck Plates

Postby Stan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm

The deck plates' rubber gaskets are not contacting the deck fully, thus allowing some water to enter the bilge on both sponsons. Even by cranking down hard on the plates by hand there two areas about 4" wide where I can slide a thin plastic strip between the deck and the rubber gasket. The attached photo shows blue tape where water is getting in to the bilge. There must be a slightly dished area in the splashwell decking as these two areas have space under the gasket no mater how the plate is installed.

I bought new gaskets last year, but that didn't help.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else had this problem and how they delt with it. Thanks
Attachments
Armstrong Deck Plate 3-9-2012 1-55-56 PM 662x568.jpg
Cat-Itude: 2000 266SC, 130 Honda

Daybreaker
Boat Year: 2005
Boat Mfg: Worldcat
Boat Model: 33TE

Re: Water in the Bilge Using Armstrong Deck Plates

Postby Daybreaker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Stan,
I had to replace mine a few years ago.I did not use armstrong.I would replace them with a differnt kind.When water keeps leaking in it will ruin your pumps and wiring fast.I have replaced my bait pump more that a dozen times,Every time cutting back the factory wiring to get a new connection.Then we re wired the entire boat.I have had few problems since then.Keep the bilges dry.If two much water gets in, when it is rough,it can sink you!! Capt.Mike
2005 Worldcat 33TE 2008 Suzuki 300 Fly by wire,power assist steering,Raymarine evolution auto pilot,Raymarine RMK 9,C125,C95,CP570,M265,Digital radar, Viking Rescue You 8 man,ACR,Global fix,pro mariner quad charger.

http://daybreakercharterfishing.com

Trent
Boat Mfg: Wellcraft
Boat Model: Coastal

Postby Trent » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 pm

My boat doesn't have that type of Armstrong deck plate so I don't know what the underside of them looks like. That said, I had a similar problem with a "screw-in" deck plate on my old boat. I solved it with an O-ring from a pool supply store. Most pool pumps require a large O-ring to seal the cover for the filter basket. It just so happened that one of the sizes would stretch around my deck plate. Since some of these O-rings are "thick" (rubber on some is 1/4" diameter) I was able to compress it enough to seal the "warped" rim. If they don't have the O-rings in stock they will have the pumps... just unscrew the filter basket covers on them until you find the right size.
2008 290DC, 2x250 Suzuki, Garmin GPSMAP 5212, GHP10 Autopilot, GMI10 Display, GPS17X NMEA 2000 Antenna, GSD22 Sounder

SeaBiscuit

Postby SeaBiscuit » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:12 pm

I also went to the armstrong deck plates in the motor well. You are correct about the surface not being flat where these are located. You might not want to go to this trouble, but, the way I did my install was to cut a piece of standard glass to a size about 2 inches larger around, than the hole I cut in the motor well. Then, using plumbers putty I made a form around the hole (think of how you would build a form to pour concrete). I then laid the glass on top to be sure when I put a little pressure on the glass I could see that it made contact all the way around with the putty. The putty looked like a little railroad track around the cut out, if that makes sense. I then mixed up enough epoxy resin to fill in the "railroad tracks" or formed up area. I poured it into the formed area. It took probably less than one ounce. I taped wax paper to the glass and laid it on top of the form and resin putting just enough pressure on it to see that the wax paper was touching. It was pretty easy to see through the glass that the resin made contact with the wax paper. Once it dried, I lifted off the glass and was paper, removed the plumbers putty (form), sanded a couple of the edges that were not perfect, painted it as was done.
The second one went much faster.
It seals very well and has been this way for several years.
Good luck,
Mike
2008 270SF, 225 Yamaha's,Simrad NSS12-EVO2, 4G radar, B175M

Stan
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 266SC, 130 Hondas, JRC radar 6 kw

Postby Stan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks Mike, That is a good permanent solution you developed. I appreciate your thoughtful reply and certainly respect your ingenuity!
Cat-Itude: 2000 266SC, 130 Honda

Return to “Cat Talk”