What is the best protection for storing a 290 DC outside?

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
PhishnPhun
Boat Year: 2012
Boat Mfg: WC
Boat Model: 290 DC

What is the best protection for storing a 290 DC outside?

Postby PhishnPhun » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:45 am

I have just purchased a WC 290 DC which will be exposed to the sun and rain on a lift in Southwest Florida. I am trying to figure out the best way to protect it. Is it a full cover? A bow cover with individual covers for the helm and aft cushions? No covers, just remove cushions? It will go for months unused since we live and work in KY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of your covers is also very helpful.

Photo of the boat on the lift is attached.

Thanks,
Ford
Attachments
290 DC.JPG

Roars
Boat Year: 2002
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 246 DC

Re: What is the best protection for storing a 290 DC outside

Postby Roars » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:36 am

Hi Ford.That is a nice boat good luck. As far as a cover for it. I live on Marco Island and I used Marco Canvas they can make any kind of cover you want. They are not cheep But they do good work. There are some canvas guys in Naples off of Airport pulling Rd . If you are in Naples you could PM me and I could show you where there at. I am in Naples every day. Good Luck Kevin
Roars
World Cat 2002 246DC
Honda 130

conehead39
Boat Year: 2006
Boat Model: 330TE
Location: Robbies Marina, Islamorada,FL Brians home305.664.2278 w msg mach

Postby conehead39 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Dark Blue Sombrella fabric stitched with Gore Tex Thread and rub backing for wear areas.
you get what you pay for. Use the shops that have been in business for 20 years with the same company name.
06,33TE,F250TXR Yam,15.5x17x3w sds;bottom micron 66,2house2150Ody;start 2 Dek
ShermanTwr w cont,Lee ORig,Gar 3010wbathy,XM,440uppr.Fur 582L, B258idTD forw bilge.Sim AP16, Icom 402, Shakes 5225XPant.ACREPIRBwGPS. http://www.islamoradafishing.com

BigPineBoy
Boat Year: 2008
Boat Model: 33TE

Postby BigPineBoy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Ford, I had a cover made for my 290CC that is in the Keys. The cover was made by Viking Canvas in Rockledge, FL. THe cool thing about the cover is it was made for the boat to be on a lift. It connects to the pop up cleats and has an elastic band around the bottom edge. It has 4 pieces. A front, back and two sides. The fabric is Sunbrella. I leave all the cushions on it, and It is always clean when I remove it. Also, the best part is the gelcoat looks like new al the time! I also like the way they incorporated the cover to protect the engines. Contact me if you want further information.

Bill
BigPineBoy
Attachments
DSC_1579.JPG
"Burnin Bills" 2008 33TE WIth upper station, 300 Zukes, Garmin 7212,Garmin GHP-10 Auto pilot, (2)AIrmar 264's, Furuno FVC-295, iCom M-504 VHF, Fusion/JL Sound, Ocean amphibian LED lights, Navy Blue Alexseal Paint.

PhishnPhun
Boat Year: 2012
Boat Mfg: WC
Boat Model: 290 DC

Postby PhishnPhun » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for the information and photo postings. Found a company in Marco that does good work. Enclosure is scheduled and will meet fabricator to design cover next trip down.

Trent
Boat Year: 2000
Boat Mfg: Wellcraft
Boat Model: Coastal

Postby Trent » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:39 pm

I recommend a full mooring cover. I will try to get you a photo but here's a description of what we did... our cover follows a line about 12" below the gunwale all the way around. It covers both engines with a bungee that passes under the cavitation plate on each engine. The cover is suspended over windshield by 3 webbing straps that loop over the hardtop tubing and clip back into a ring attached to the cover. Zippers allow the cover to wrap around the hard top uprights. A bungee at the bow clips into the bow eye. Here's the secret... it doesn't matter how good or experienced your canvas guy is, they still haven't done many cats. The slab sides of a cat do not allow the drawstring around the perimeter to "snug down" the way a V-hull would. A strong wind WILL lift the cover. 99% of canvas guys will want to solve this with snaps... I refused to allow even one screw hole to be drilled into my boat. After some trial end error we found an easy solution. In the bow and stern, have a 3" heavy duty webbing strap sewn onto your cover spanning the boat from port to starboard with a D-ring on each end. These straps should cross directly above the table mounting brackets in the bow and stern. Install a metal grommet through the cover and webbing on centerline of boat. A tent pole goes from the table mounting in the floor up through the grommet. Take 4 medium size fenders and drill a small hole in the top. Fill the fenders 1/2 full of water. Tie a short rope to each fender and put a spring clip on the other end. The fenders hang from the D-rings and snug the cover down over the tent poles. They are heavy enough to pull the entire cover taut.

So here's the procedure... I lay the cover across the bow, throw it forward over the anchor and secure the centerline bungee to the bow eye. I roll the cover back, over the windshield. At that point I loop the 3 webbing straps over the hard top tubing (port, center, starboard)... this keeps the cover off the windshield. I keep rolling to the back and toss rear of cover over the (raised) engines. Slide back on the swim platform and pull the bungees over the engine cavitation plates. Lower the engines and the cover pulls taut from front to back. Insert the front and rear tent poles. Climb out of boat and close zippers around hard top uprights. Snap the 4 fenders (weights) onto the D rings and the cover pulls taut from port to starboard over the tent poles. Done. This takes about 5 minutes and keeps the boat pristine. Advantages of this approach:
1. Cover has stayed on in 60+ MPH winds
2. The cover can flex or lift slightly in very strong wind.. where a snap would let go the fender weights just pull the cover back down
3. Cover touches almost NOTHING.. not the windshield, not the seats. The only touch points are the gunwale and the back edge of the engines
4. NO snaps... zero
5. since cover is taut, the rain rolls right off

Good luck!
2008 290DC, 2x250 Suzuki, Garmin GPSMAP 5212, GHP10 Autopilot, GMI10 Display, GPS17X NMEA 2000 Antenna, GSD22 Sounder

Return to “Cat Talk”