DRIVING INSTRUCTIONS

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
obow
Boat Year: 1998
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 266SC

DRIVING INSTRUCTIONS

Postby obow » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Cpthoodman posted Driving Instructions on Aug. 29, 2007 and I downloaded it to my computer. I recently posted it on the Hull Truth because there have been a lot of questions by perspective buyers of World Cats. Several members were very happy to see it because it gave them an understanding of how to handle a World Cat in different sea conditions. CONEHEAD suggest I post it on the WC forum so here it is. It greatly helped me to learn how to run my 266SC, and I still have more to learn. Best boat I ever owned, now if I could just hit the lottery so I could move up to a 33.
Larry

Re: Driving instructions
by cpthoodman on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:57 am

Posted: Aug 5, 2005 9:59 AM
This was given to me when I bought my cat and it helped me alot. Sorry for the long post.

You??ve made the decision to purchase the boat with ??The Ultimate Ride??, now take the time to understand the basics rules of operation that will enhance your World Cat experience and help you have the right ??World Cattitude??!

Dockside and Fish Fighting handling features:
A typical dual outboard powered mono-hull has the engines mounted between 28 and 38 inches apart, depending upon the boat manufacturers design.

World Cats outboards are mounted 60 inches apart on all models except for the 330TE which has a 79 inch spread. Use this to your advantage when docking or fighting a fish.

??Cross clutching?? is a term which refers to having one motor in forward and the other motor in reverse. This typically refers to inboard powered boat operation due to the wide spread of the inboard motors, but your World Cat provides a similar spread that allows you to ??spin on a dime??.

To turn to port put the starboard motor in forward and the port motor in reverse. To stay positioned in the same spot in the water simply apply more throttle on either motor depending upon currents and wind directions and speed.

To turn to starboard put the port motor in forward and the starboard in reverse. To significantly ??tighten the circle?? or decrease the radius of the turn you can turn the outboards in the direction of the turn as well.

For ease of operation you can dock your World Cat without turning the wheel, simply leave the motors straight ahead and use the ??cross clutch?? method to entirely maneuver the boat.

To "spin" on a fish that decides as it nears the boat to dive under the boat (ex: tarpon) or toward the lower units and props (ex: wahoo), you can accelerate the turn by turning the wheel in the direction that you need to spin in addition to using the ??cross clutch?? method and applying throttle as need be.

Coming on plane:
Like a mono-hull, your World Cat will come on plane from a dead rest or slow idle quickest by having the motors trimmed down (or "in"). In this manner the motors function as trim tabs, forcing the bow to have minimal bow rise upon the application of increased throttle.

This becomes a big advantage when operating in shallow water when combined with World Cats shallow hull draft (12?? to 16?? depending on the model).

Semi-Displacement versus Displacement hulls:
The most important advantage of owning a World Cat versus other catamarans is the ability of your semi-displacement hull to respond to the trim position of the outboard motors.

Full Displacement hulls (such as those that were originally designed for sailboats) run flat regardless of the trim position of the outboard motors. Your World Cat can perform like a displacement hull if you so desire simply by not trimming the motors up from the full down position. However, in many circumstances this could cause the ride to be wetter than if the motors were trimmed up to provide lift to the hull and to make the water coming off the hulls occur further aft, thus making for a dryer ride. In

Up to cruising RPMS this is an acceptable mode of operation, however at and above cruising RPMS your World Cat will run faster, dryer, and more efficient by trimming out the outboards and in turn providing lift to the hull. The trimming of the outboards out (or ??up??) reduces the amount of wetted surface of the hulls and allows more air to enter the tunnel. At the same throttle position your motors will now be turning more RPMs, proving the benefits of owning and properly operating a semi-displacement World

Running into a Head Sea:
If you are interested in running as fast as possible into a head sea, the goal you want to accomplish is to run as fast as you can while keeping the boat in the water and preventing the boat from going airborne.

With this in mind, you begin with the motors trimmed down as you increase RPMs up to cruising speed, at which time you begin to trim the motors out in order to gain the efficiencies of the hull. At some point depending upon numerous variables (boat speed, wave height, distance between waves, wind direction and strength, amount of weight onboard ?? fuel, ice, people, tackle) the boat will start coming out of the water.

If you desire to continue at that speed, the boat will come out and re-enter on the wider, flatter aft sections of the hulls with greater impact than normal. To help lessen the impact you can turn the boat slightly off dead center to the head seas thereby allowing one hull to re-enter slightly before the other hull.

If heading slightly off dead center does not alleviate the impact to the extent that you desire, and you still desire to run the boat at that given speed, your alternative is to then ??tack?? the boat similar to a sailboat going to windward with long runs slightly off to port of the head sea followed by an equally long run with a heading slightly off to starboard of the desired course. This is only necessary under extreme sea conditions when you don??t want to slow down and is not recommended for the average

The prudent thing to do as your speed becomes too fast for the head sea conditions is to begin to trim the motors in (or ??down??) to act as trim tabs to hold the bow down and keep the knifing edge of the bows in the water. If need be, with the motors trimmed all of the way in, at some stage the conditions might require slowing the boat down to fit the sea conditions. Clearly your World Cat can handle head seas better than other comparably sized mono-hulls.

Quartering and Beam seas:
Your World Cat handles quartering and beam seas exceptionally well as you might expect. For average sized quartering and beam seas you should run your World Cat as you would in moderate seas of any type, with the motors trimmed properly for the given RPMs as to provide the soft, fast, dry, and efficient ride that only a World Cat can provide.

At some point, in oversized quartering or beam seas, when you desire to continue along at a fast pace, it will become necessary to adjust the trim of the boat. Your goal at this point is to lean your boat into the sea. If you have a port beam sea, then you will want your port hull leaning into the sea, and vice versa.

Once again, you will use your outboard motors as trim tabs. In order to lay your port side hull into the oversized quartering or beam sea you must trim your starboard motor down (or ??in??), which will lower the bow of your port hull. In so doing you will also be, in effect, raising the bow of your starboard hull.

Naturally, the reverse is true: If you have an oversized beam sea on your starboard side, you should trim down (or ??in??) your port motor which will lower the bow of your starboard hull, and ??dig-in?? to the face of the ensuing wave.

Of course, you would only make these type of adjustments in oversized sea conditions, and only if you are going to steer that particular heading for a sustained period of time

Remember:
To lower the starboard bow: lower the port motor (or if the motors are trimmed all the way down, trim up the starboard motor).

To lower the port bow: lower the starboard motor (or if the motors are trimmed all the way down, trim up the port motor).

Or if you wish, to raise the starboard bow: raise the port motor (or if the motors are trimmed substantially up, trim the starboard motor down).

To raise the port bow: raise the starboard motor (or if the motors are trimmed substantially up, trim the port motor down).

I know this sounds like a fast-talking, late-night-TV, used car salesman, but think it through, and try it on the water. You will quickly understand and appreciate the superior responsiveness and sea keeping abilities of your World Class Catamaran!

Turning:
Contrary to the popular belief that catamarans lean away from a turn, catamarans actually turn flat, similar to an automobile. Mono-hulls lay into turns similar to a motorcycle.

Once again, however, World Class Catamarans, due to their responsive semi-displacement performance hull designs, can lean into turns like a mono-hull, if so desired. In moderate conditions you can make use of the above trimming principles to cause the hull on the inboard side of a turn to lean into the turn.

In fact, your World Cat hull is so responsive to trim that you can actually make your boat go into a slow, gradual turn without turning the wheel, by simply trimming one motor all of the way up and the other motor all of the way down. This is even true of our 330TE!

At higher speeds, for demonstration purposes, you can lay your World Cat into a turn by turning the wheel an additional ?? turn more than what is normally required to turn the boat.

Following Seas:
This is the area where your World Class Catamaran noticeably excels versus displacement style catamarans!

In small following seas all cats ride well, however in average to oversized following seas, the 2 narrow piercing hulls of a catamaran tend to drive down into the trough between the waves and force the boat to turn one direction or the other. This is commonly known as ??bow steering??, and it can range from simply being tiring to the helmsman to being extremely dangerous to the point of the boat broaching.

Fortunately your World Class Catamaran responds to trim of the outboards as previously discussed. In this instance, the method to alleviate any potential bow steering is to trim both motors up (or ??out??) to provide lift in the bow. Obviously, displacement style catamaran hulls do not have the luxury of responding to trim, thus their design is a significant liability in large following seas.

Practice these concepts on the water and you will enjoy your World Cat experience more than you can imagine. If you have any questions about any of these subjects, or anything else about your World Class Catamaran, please contact your dealer or our Customer Service Department directly.

We want every one of our World Class Cat owners to have the right
??World Cattitude?? and enjoy their boats to the fullest!2000 266SC 130HP HONDAS "CAT TALES"
cpthoodman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by ryan on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 pm

That's it... like I said, I've been following those "principles" since I saw them, but a buddy down this way was having trouble in a beam sea and asked my advice. I told him, but wanted to give him this list. Thanks!

Ryanryan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by krich337 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Ryan,

What problem is your friend having. I assume he the boat is "darting" in a beam sea (following the waves). In this case I just trim up the bow to stop the bow from following the waves. It want stop it completely but will take most of it out.

Krich2007 33TE w/ 250 Yahamas, dual E120 Raymarine screens (dual GPS, radar, bottom finder, Sat weather) and TR-1 autopilot
krich337

by ryan on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:29 pm

His specific problem was excessive roll, which I also experienced prior to learning how to trim the boat. He should be OK now...

Ryanryan

Display posts from previous: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year Sort by AuthorPost timeSubject AscendingDescending

Post a reply7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Return to Cat Talk
Jump to: Select a forum ------------------ Community Forums Cat Talk Fishing Exploits New Product Talk