HONDA TECHNICIAN

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
Evan
Boat Year: 2003
Boat Mfg: Worldcat
Boat Model: 230SF

Re: HONDA TECHNICIAN

Postby Evan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:44 pm

conehead
Remember this is Miami!
I am told that the MORONS at the local marina where hewes has a shop trashed a few cats (not hewes) they either dropped them or crushed them.
Plus they complain that they don't have a rack for a cat.
My neighbor is a welder, I offered to make the marina an adjustable width cradle for the cat so they could use it for any small cat but the "BITxx" "sorry" woman said no dice.
I am relatively sure that it is the upper seal because it was replaced 2 years ago. This time I didn't catch it as quickly as before.
The oil is like a milkshake. I only noticed it when I left the boat in the water and tilted the engines up. Next morning when I put them down I saw the evidense and plenty of it. Ruined my fishing weekend.
I never reuse the washers, I always use new ones when I change the lower oil but the folks that did the work I am not sure about.
Jim knows who I am talking about.
Plus the dealer is out of the question its 20 miles up the intercoactal one way then $150 for the haul out.
And if I call them it will be get on the wait list. Last time it was 4 weeks.
I do have a guy that will do it but to get him over here is another story.
I don't have a problem paying someone but after 3 weeks now I am running out of dolphin weekends.
I never fished the cat in winter but I plan on it this winter.
I may just have to get off my old ass and dig out a 14mm socket and a piece of rope.
I appreciate all the knowledge that you guys posses.
Its nice to have it there to tap.
Evan
2003 - 230SF, Honda 130's, Garmin 1040XS

Evan

Postby Evan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:46 am

Guys
I have one other question.
Can the removal and re installation of the LU be don at full engine tilt?

conehead39
Boat Year: 2006
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 330TE
Location: Robbies Marina, Islamorada,FL Brians home305.664.2278 w msg mach

Postby conehead39 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:48 am

I assume you are thinking full up. YES actually the easiest.
Down is a little harder because the vertical drive shaft is so long.You need lots of ground clearance.

Most people w boat on a trailer remove and replace lower unit with it tilted full up.

One option for you.
You could remove the lower units and take them to the shop.I would probably leave the props on so the securing rope would have something to grasp,like a set of horns on a bull.

Reinstalling you will probably need someone to help, especially lining up the shift shaft .
06,33TE,F250TXR Yam,15.5x17x3w sds;bottom micron 66,2house2150Ody;start 2 Dek
ShermanTwr w cont,Lee ORig,Gar 3010wbathy,XM,440uppr.Fur 582L, B258idTD forw bilge.Sim AP16, Icom 402, Shakes 5225XPant.ACREPIRBwGPS. http://www.islamoradafishing.com

Evan

Postby Evan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I probably should have asked that first.
I can move the davits so the stern of the boat is sitting almost on my fixed dock.
With the lu's directly over the dock.
I"m doin it this week.
I went out to see my friend that sells bait and found out the dolphin were everywhere.
I felt sick listening to the radio, 60' of water dolphin !

Thanks again!
Evan

The BEAST
Boat Year: 2007
Boat Mfg: WorldCat
Boat Model: 330TE
Location: Beast Fishing Charters -- www.beastcharter.com -- Miami, Florida

Postby The BEAST » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:26 pm

conehead39 wrote:
Reinstalling you will probably need someone to help, especially lining up the shift shaft .

Actually when I did the LU's on my Hondas, the shift shaft was not a problem. The shift shaft never moves and the coupling is self aligning, somewhat. While installing the impeller though, you will invariably rotate the drive shaft which means you sometimes have to hold the LU almost in place and rotate it until the spline align and then slide it in. Takes a bit of manhandlin at that brief moment. Other than that it is relatively easy. It's best to have a second person to thread the first bolt in several thread turns so you can release the unit and install the others.

Evan... trim them up and allow about 3' of clearance from the skeg to the dock, minimum. The higher you get the motors to about waist level or slightly higher the easier it is to control the weight and awkwardness of the LU and shafts.
Boat: 07/330TE Motors: Zuke 300 Outriggers:18' Lee Sidewinder-12' Lee C/rigger Navigation: 2-Garmin 3210 Depth finder: GSD 22-1KW/M260 Radar: GMR18 4KW Communication: Standard-Horizon VHF Music: Sony 200W AM/FM/CD, mp3 input, 4 Sony speakers

Stan
Boat Year: 2000
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 266SC, 130 Hondas, JRC radar 6 kw

Postby Stan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Evan,

A mechanic I have used and is my prefered go to man is Tony Fredericks, ph 561-414-3011. Due to the hard times in the industry he was let go recently. I know he is a good guy and have seen another mention of his name on this forum as a first rate mechanic. He is coming to my house on a job as soon as I buy the parts.
Cat-Itude: 2000 266SC, 130 Honda

Evan

Postby Evan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:21 am

Well so far so good.
Turns out a 16.5' flats boat is perfect for LU maintenance.
I never moved my floating dock under the cat.
It was a piece of cake. You guys were correct.
The LU with the seal problem is in the shop.
Being properly checked!
We will see why the seal is failing.
It was pretty easy to get them off.
But I will need help to put them back on.
One other thing the plugs are no Iridium there the $3 standard spark plug.
Hope to be back in the water next weekend.
Thanks again uall.
Evan

Evan

Postby Evan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:32 am

Well its done!
Port Motor required 2 LU upper seals.
The drive shaft seal was leaking badly and was replaced. The shift shaft started leaking at 6PSI. And was replaced.
The drive shaft was extremely dirty and probably was not properly cleaned when the seal was replaced last time.
All the studs and shafts were lubed with this Light Green grease that my friend uses.
You guys were correct. Its a piece of cake!
Total parts 100 bucks. Also used synthetic oil in the LU's ,HPF XR Gearcase Lubricant.
Now all I have to do is get my bent prop fixed!
Thanks

Return to “Cat Talk”