HONDA TECHNICIAN

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
Evan
Boat Year: 2003
Boat Mfg: Worldcat
Boat Model: 230SF

HONDA TECHNICIAN

Postby Evan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:49 pm

Maybe some one can help!
I am looking for a Honda tech in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area that will come to my house and work on my Honda BF130's.
All they have to do is water pumps, upper seal on the port engine, Lower unit oil change and spark plugs.
I have the boat hanging on davits and a 8' x 18' floating dock under it.

Ant suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks Evan
2003 - 230SF, Honda 130's, Garmin 1040XS

The BEAST
Boat Year: 2007
Boat Mfg: WorldCat
Boat Model: 330TE
Location: Beast Fishing Charters -- www.beastcharter.com -- Miami, Florida

Re: HONDA TECHNICIAN

Postby The BEAST » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:47 pm

All the metioned lower unit oil, spark plugs, and water pumps is a quick and easy job when on a trailer or ground blocks. I't not near as easy on a floating platform where any dropped part could gop deep six. I'm also not quite sure where you came up with "all they have to do" when you are speaking of changing an upper seal. If you are speaking of the upper seal under the flywheel... that is a major repair that definitely will not be done on your dock hangers.

WIth that said, there is not many certified Honda techs that are mobile. You can call Mike, up at Bob Hewes (west) at the Palmetto X-way and NW 58 St. They sent a mechanic to me once. You'r going to pay at least $150 in travel time, regular hourly rates, plus parts. It's WAY cheaper to buy a shop manual and learn how to do those easy maintenance items, yourself. The lower unit oil and water pumps, are less than an hour per motor and $60 in parts, if you do them yourself. The spark plugs are about an hour per motor, too, without being rushed.

Good luck!
Boat: 07/330TE Motors: Zuke 300 Outriggers:18' Lee Sidewinder-12' Lee C/rigger Navigation: 2-Garmin 3210 Depth finder: GSD 22-1KW/M260 Radar: GMR18 4KW Communication: Standard-Horizon VHF Music: Sony 200W AM/FM/CD, mp3 input, 4 Sony speakers

Evan

Postby Evan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Its the upper seal on the port lower unit.
I have no trailer and no access to a trailer.
Not only that but I cant get the marina operator where Hewes is to pick up the cat, and she says they do not have any way to support the cat even if she would pick up the cat!
By the way Jim I am more than capable of doing the repairs but I do not want to!
I have also seen this kind of work done on a floating dock considerably less stable than mine.

conehead39
Boat Year: 2006
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Location: Robbies Marina, Islamorada,FL Brians home305.664.2278 w msg mach

Postby conehead39 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Put the engines in neutral .
Tie tight rope around the lower unit(s) and tie the other end to the shore. In case you drop it.
Remove the rudder tab.Remove all the LU bolts,generally at least 7.
Remove the lower units.
Take the LUs to the dealer/garage. He can replace the seal under the water pump,change water pumps,remove props check for fishing lineand dress(file /sand) the prop leading edge,and change the lower unit oil
all in his garage. You can even leave them and come back in a day or so when they have been serviced.
The spark plugs can be changed with boat in the water with the engine tilted up.
Read my recent blog on SPARK PLUG changing.

Get some one to help you install the LUs,lining up the shift splines.Only install two LU bolts and see if will shift properly.
Lots of first timers fail to line up the shift shaft.
Grease ALL splines w water resistant grease.( shift ,vertical shaft ,and prop shaft).

OR you can pay thru the ass. If you can, watch the mechanic do it.
06,33TE,F250TXR Yam,15.5x17x3w sds;bottom micron 66,2house2150Ody;start 2 Dek
ShermanTwr w cont,Lee ORig,Gar 3010wbathy,XM,440uppr.Fur 582L, B258idTD forw bilge.Sim AP16, Icom 402, Shakes 5225XPant.ACREPIRBwGPS. http://www.islamoradafishing.com

Evan

Postby Evan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:51 am

conehead
Thanks for the info.
If I have to do it myself I will.
But I am still going to look for someone.
The spark plug post is great advice.

The BEAST

Postby The BEAST » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:59 am

Evan wrote:Its the upper seal on the port lower unit.
I have no trailer and no access to a trailer.
Not only that but I cant get the marina operator where Hewes is to pick up the cat, and she says they do not have any way to support the cat even if she would pick up the cat!
By the way Jim I am more than capable of doing the repairs but I do not want to!
I have also seen this kind of work done on a floating dock considerably less stable than mine.

Ahhhh. You had me feeling for ya! I thought it was the upper seal under the flywheel.

I sense that you got upset with my post. Yet conehead basically told you the same thing and you thanked him?!? I was only trying to tell you like it is.

There are several Yamaha mechanics that do mobile work like Erics outboard, but will they work on your Hondas? There are few HONDA mechanics that are mobile, and most won't do the work, IN WATER!!!!! Dropped parts, oil spills, etc. are their reasoning. You may have the greatest floater in the world but if he drops a water pump bolt and it bounces into the water, that means he has to run all the way back to the shop, hope he has that bolt in stock and then return... and he can't charge you for that trip. It happens! I pulled my props on our marina floating dock and as I popped the thrust hub off it flew off the spline and into the water. Luckily it is a big part and I dug through the mud with my net til I found it. Shit happens!

Be careful on who you pick too! Craig from Nexboat sent a mobile Suzuki mechanic to my boat to fix my guage problem. He charged me $150 travel time to come up and order a new guage and recall parts I needed under warranty. He then charged me another $150 to come back and replace those parts. He supposedly had to order some other part, again, for the guage problem. He had no clue what was wrong! $300 later and I still have the original problem and haven't heard or seen him. That was 4 months ago! So be careful in your selection!

Call Mike at the Hewes WEST store NOT the main store. His number is 305-592-1702 He sent a mechanic to my boat once.
Boat: 07/330TE Motors: Zuke 300 Outriggers:18' Lee Sidewinder-12' Lee C/rigger Navigation: 2-Garmin 3210 Depth finder: GSD 22-1KW/M260 Radar: GMR18 4KW Communication: Standard-Horizon VHF Music: Sony 200W AM/FM/CD, mp3 input, 4 Sony speakers

Evan

Postby Evan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks Jim
I am too OLD for that KRAP. (workin on a motor)
Its hard enough for me to tie a Bimini Twist any more, let alone lift that lower unit.
The only problem I have with the cat is NO ONE will pick it up!
Even the guys with the travel lifts won't snatch it.
If I ever have the money again and I even want another boat I am afraid its gona be a V.
Although the WC 29SF would be the one for me.

The BEAST

Postby The BEAST » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Evan,

You might be able to find someone to come pull the lower units and then take them to the shop to do the work and return and install the units again. That might work.

If you get in a pinch and can't find anyone to do this, give me a call. I'm not very young anymore but I can still manhandle a lower unit. If I can find time, and you are close enough, I might be able to help you. For the most part, the work is easy, except for the seal, which might be a problem. Sometimes they can be popped out and reinstalled without disassembly. Sometimes! At the very least, we should be able to pull the units and load them in your truck or trunk.

I'm not a certified Honda Tech but... I've pulled many a lower unit in my days!

conehead39
Boat Year: 2006
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Location: Robbies Marina, Islamorada,FL Brians home305.664.2278 w msg mach

Postby conehead39 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Evan,
How do you know its the seal underthe water pump plate?
If you have milky LU oil then are generally 2 causes.
1. The prop shafts seals. ( maybe fishing line or an exposed seal garder spring has broken);dreaded spider line can raise hell on prop seals.It is thin and very strong for its diameter.
2. The vertical shaft seal under the water pump plate.
3. reusing a plug seal or distorting one. We ALWAYS use new ( drain/fill)plug seals; they are soft , not necessarily so 2-3 time.

You should have the LU pressurized to determine which one is leaking.

Here in the Keys I have seen them fork lift WCC 270's and smaller lots of times.
My son's old 2000 266SF like 5-6 times.
However a cradle for the fork lift is better.

Like Jim said any mobile mechanic could probably do the job, provided they had the parts and really wanted to do it on a floating platform..

Talk nice to Jim, give him a nice monetary tip if he does it ;)

The water pump seal generally can be easily pried out and a new one installed.

BTW.... EKRAUS you got a hell of a lot better replies here than theTHT. :D
06,33TE,F250TXR Yam,15.5x17x3w sds;bottom micron 66,2house2150Ody;start 2 Dek
ShermanTwr w cont,Lee ORig,Gar 3010wbathy,XM,440uppr.Fur 582L, B258idTD forw bilge.Sim AP16, Icom 402, Shakes 5225XPant.ACREPIRBwGPS. http://www.islamoradafishing.com

NO REGRETS
Boat Year: 1998
Boat Mfg: WORLD CAT
Boat Model: 246

Postby NO REGRETS » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:18 pm

My mechanic took a triple axle trailer he uses for pulling boats from the intercoastal and notched the trailer bunks, for 2 by 12's, carpeted them and drops them in flush across the trailer when pulling a cat.He has pulled 28 footers with this rig and pulled my 246 and it was easy and sturdy.Once on the the trailer and out of the water,he chocks the bow and tie's it with x patterns to the trailer.Front back and across the stern and hooks to the trailer cable and off we went. I too don't have a trailer, and used to run to a ramp near the dealer or he came to my ramp with a trailer.Charged 100 bucks to haul each way.Thats a cheap trailer when you figure the cost of owning one.I would not care if he charged more, a trailer is 4500 dollars ,thats a lot of haul outs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!By the way , my boat sits on a lift the same way he made the trailer.
The way sales are Iwould think a worldcat dealer would come pick up the boat and service it and thats it. :? :?
lift Ibeams 007.jpg
lift Ibeams 005.jpg
I still have NO REGRETS :lol: :lol: THE ABOVE IS JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT.iF A DEALER WON'T COME GET YOU.Maybe a friend or a nearby yard would do this to their trailer for a small fee.Just trying to help.I don't know why you need a honda guy to do lower unit work anyway.Motor and parts yes but you can have all the parts if they don't want to hunt them down.Lower units are pretty much alike .
X-1998 246 150 2006 SUZUKIS,3x16x20 suzuki props top speed 44 at @ 5700 rpm, HULL#84, ORIGINAL OWNER
BOYNTON BEACH,FL---

Return to “Cat Talk”