Transducer

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
Kerry

Re: Transducer

Postby Kerry » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:50 pm

[i]That's about what I expected from you.[/i]

You surely can and really leaves you no where to go does it? Does help to read all the posts doesn't it.

Cheers, Kerry.

mpostgate
Boat Year: 2000
Boat Mfg: Worldcat
Boat Model: 266 SF

Postby mpostgate » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:01 pm

You are too easy!
- Mark Postgate

2000 266 SF "Get Wet" Optimax 200s, Simrad electronics, iCom VHF
Fishing & Diving the Gulf Coast off Destin, Florida

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:06 pm

Sellis, normally no need to thank people for simply replying in a civil manner to queries raised but considering the circumstances and some of the hotter heads around here your comments and the civil approach is appreciated. You've clarified some comments that you previosuly made and doing things correctly is what everybody wants these days isn't it. However access is one of those things in boats (any boat) that simply can't be underestimated or taken for granted.

In my case I have transducers on the outside of each hull, mounted to the pods and the hull profile/chines suits things not to bad. Pod bolts are accessed through hatches in the floor but in no way could I now fit transducers in the hull/s unless I cut up the floor and all things considered there's no way I'm going to cut up a perfectly good floor considering things work reasonable well anyway. Arms not even long enough to reach the keel through the floor to do anything anyway. Hindsight can be a wonderfull thing.

One other question if you would please. What's the bottom hull profile like on your hulls.

Cheers, Kerry.

Harry Brosofsky
Boat Year: 2003
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 330TE

Postby Harry Brosofsky » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:12 pm

Kerry,

The hull is rounded at the bottom. On the 330 TE, it is nearly flat out to about 6" either side of center, then has a gradual curve from there.

Harry
'03 330TE, Zuke DF250s, Ray C-120 (2), RS-125 (2), 4KW dome, DSM300, M260, Icom 504A (2), CommandMic III (2), Navman Fuel 3100, Jensen MCD-A1, XM SkiFi II, DC Gold 6x9s (4), Odyssey PC2150 (2), BEP 717+, scuba rack, hardtop rear arch, extra rod holders

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:30 am

Thanks Harry, again not my normal response but some times one must give credit where credit is due.

Cheers, Kerry.

Evan
Boat Year: 2003
Boat Model: 230SF

Postby Evan » Wed May 05, 2004 5:31 am

So I bought a 230 SF
No where do I put the transducer ?
2003 - 230SF, Honda 130's, Garmin 1040XS

The BEAST
Boat Year: 2007
Boat Mfg: WorldCat
Boat Model: 330TE
Location: Beast Fishing Charters -- www.beastcharter.com -- Miami, Florida

Postby The BEAST » Wed May 05, 2004 12:01 pm

Evan,

I recommend a shoot thru transducer placement.

Use a puck type or a regular transom mount. First you must put some water in the bilge area. Put the transducer flat on the hull INSIDE the bilge area and find a suitable location for good readings, usually near the bilge pump. Then thouroughly dry and use acetone or alcohol to clean and dry that area. Get some childrens play dough and make a moat that fits the 'ducer size. Mix some epoxy and pour it into the play dough moat. Slowly put the 'ducer into the epoxy moat at angles and wiggle it as you set it in to allow any trapped air to escape (crucial). Let this harden and you are good to go. This will allow the 'ducer to shoot through the fiberglass.

This mounting causes a slight loss of max depth readings, but eliminates any worries when trailering or contacting debris etc. when cruising.

Call me if you have any questions, (305)233-9996 in the eves.

Capt. Jim
The BEAST
Boat: 07/330TE Motors: Zuke 300 Outriggers:18' Lee Sidewinder-12' Lee C/rigger Navigation: 2-Garmin 3210 Depth finder: GSD 22-1KW/M260 Radar: GMR18 4KW Communication: Standard-Horizon VHF Music: Sony 200W AM/FM/CD, mp3 input, 4 Sony speakers

worldcat270te

Postby worldcat270te » Wed May 05, 2004 4:01 pm

A transom mount would do the job just fine. They work really well on cats.

mpostgate
Boat Year: 2000
Boat Model: 266 SF

Postby mpostgate » Wed May 05, 2004 8:05 pm

I'm sure a transom mount may work fine on a cat... however, the one mounted on my 266 SF did not work fine when I bought the boat. You need to make sure the installation is done right.

Mine was installed on the inboard chine of the port sponson. With the left motor being counter-rotating, that put the transducer on the upswing side of the prop. Not good. The transducer performed fine at trolling speeds and below, but lost bottom every time I pushed up the throttles. I eventually moved the transducer inside the starboard bilge (on Capt Jim's advice) and secured it to the hull with silicone. The improvement was immediate and dramatic (and no wires attached to the transom).

Make sure you pick a good spot on the transom before you drill holes. I'm sure there are many owners who can give you advice on where to mount the transducer on the hull. My initial gameplan was to move mine to the outboard chine of the starboard sponson (downswing side of the right prop). Good luck with your install.
- Mark Postgate

2000 266 SF "Get Wet" Optimax 200s, Simrad electronics, iCom VHF
Fishing & Diving the Gulf Coast off Destin, Florida

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri May 07, 2004 4:33 pm

I appreciate all of your advice over the past weeks. My boat is scheduled to be here next week and I will then begin the rigging task. I ordered all of my electronics today. I went with the nav net system using a overlay open array radar. I am having the large box put in to accommodate two 10 inch screens. After much discussion with Furuno and the distributor, I decided to flush mount my transducer by building a reverse mold and then cutting a hole in the hull and fitting the ducer flush with the bottom. WC has agreed to give me a letter confirming my warranty after such an application. I also decided to go with the simrad auto pilot since nobody knew much about the new rudderless pilots. I will let all know how it turns out. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Cat Talk”