Help with digital control pad

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
off gassing
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:02 pm
Boat Year: 2005
Boat Mfg: worldcat
Boat Model: 27 TE honda 225
Location: Biloxi ms

Help with digital control pad

Postby off gassing » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 am

The upper digital control unit on my 2005 TE began acting up several months ago, i would press one button and something else would turn on. Now the pad does not work at all, will not turn on anything. At the same time the lower pad works normally. It seems to have shorted out. Does anyone have any experience with this on thee boats? Are replacement parts available anywhere? If not, what are my options? As a side note I called WC customer support for the first time in many years, very disappointed. Talked to someone and her only response was for to cll my local WC dearlship wich we do not have sin south Ms.. She was absolutely no help.
Attachments
IMG_0459.jpeg

dicksboat
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:16 pm
Boat Year: 1998
Boat Mfg: Former World Cat owner
Boat Model: Former owner 266SF

Re: Help with digital control pad

Postby dicksboat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Usually if something else turns on it means there is a bad or partial ground and there is negative back feeding through the positive side. The fact that nothing now works probably means the partial connection is now broken. Check all your power connections going all the way back to the batteries.

808Fishing
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:56 pm
Boat Year: 2004
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 330 TE
Location: Hawaii

Re: Help with digital control pad

Postby 808Fishing » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:48 am

off gassing wrote:The upper digital control unit on my 2005 TE began acting up several months ago, i would press one button and something else would turn on. Now the pad does not work at all, will not turn on anything. At the same time the lower pad works normally. It seems to have shorted out. Does anyone have any experience with this on thee boats? Are replacement parts available anywhere? If not, what are my options? As a side note I called WC customer support for the first time in many years, very disappointed. Talked to someone and her only response was for to cll my local WC dearlship wich we do not have sin south Ms.. She was absolutely no help.



I have the same electronics on my boat and experienced the same exact problem. I would push one button and something else would come on. Took an electrician about 6 hours to check every wire until he found the problem. There was an exposed fuse block up in the overhead box where the stereo is and it was completely corroded and shorted out. It was attached to the back wall up high pretty much centered as I recall. (I think the stereo was connected to it) He replaced it with a more waterproof fuse block and cleaned up the wiring. Everything back to normal, and as a bonus he found a few things that were about to be an issue and replaced them as well. Good Luck !!

off gassing
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:02 pm
Boat Year: 2005
Boat Mfg: worldcat
Boat Model: 27 TE honda 225
Location: Biloxi ms

Re: Help with digital control pad

Postby off gassing » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:54 am

Thanks for the input, good info. My next question is does either one of you know a good systematic aproach to tracking down a bad ground. If i begin disconnecting each system one at a time would that isolate the short? Or do you just have to start at one end and go through to the other end on all systems?

808Fishing
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:56 pm
Boat Year: 2004
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 330 TE
Location: Hawaii

Re: Help with digital control pad

Postby 808Fishing » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 pm

off gassing wrote:Thanks for the input, good info. My next question is does either one of you know a good systematic aproach to tracking down a bad ground. If i begin disconnecting each system one at a time would that isolate the short? Or do you just have to start at one end and go through to the other end on all systems?


Each wire individually is a must.
The electrician showed me where the wires go through a circuit board in the helm and it's impossible to find the problem unless you disconnect and check each wire individually, as the short feeds juice to all the wires connected to that board.

SeaBiscuit
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Destin, FL

Re: Help with digital control pad

Postby SeaBiscuit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:52 pm

These are tough to figure out, but, you have to break it down and take one step at a time.
First, you mention it shorted out. If it did indeed short out, you should have a tripped breaker. That is good because now you have really good idea of where to start looking for the short. You can do this by disconnecting the ground and running a wire temporarily to replace that installed ground wire. If it does not short out then you know it is in that run somewhere and you can either trace it or replace it with another wire. If that test does nothing you can replace the original ground and do the same thing with the positive wire. If it still shorts out and trips the breaker you may have a bad switch (digial panel), or whatever it is feeding could be bad. In your case, it is almost certainly either the wiring or the pad.
If your situation does not really have a short, which is my guess, then you may have a bad connection or wire chaffed and grounding which is a high percentage bet. If this is the case, you can start one by one checking every wire coming from that panel back to the ground block using the method mentioned above till you run across the problem. An alternative might be to pull all the fuses or open each breaker on each circuit fed from that panel. Then one by one close them and see if you happen to find the culprit. That is much easier to start with, but, may not necessarily find the problem.
Someone already mentioned that fuse block in the electronics box. Maybe start there. You will probably find other connections that need to be addressed during this tedious exercise. Good Luck and let us know. I have that same type panel and may learn from you.
2008 270SF, 225 Yamaha's,Simrad NSS12-EVO2, 4G radar, B175M

off gassing
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:02 pm
Boat Year: 2005
Boat Mfg: worldcat
Boat Model: 27 TE honda 225
Location: Biloxi ms

Re: Help with digital control pad

Postby off gassing » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:35 am

Finally came to the conclusion that the keypad was shorted out after spending hours redoing all the grounds and wiring. So decided to redo it. Ordered 14 switches from bocatech, piece of 1/2 inch black plexiglass and seafoam glove box from boat outfitters. Cut the plexiglass and had the switch holes engraved. Wired it all ouiside of the boat then sat the whole dash back in. Found the glove box on boat outfitters that was the perfect size to cover up old wholes from key pads and looks factory in design and color.
Attachments
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG

808Fishing
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:56 pm
Boat Year: 2004
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 330 TE
Location: Hawaii

Re: Help with digital control pad

Postby 808Fishing » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 am

off gassing wrote:Finally came to the conclusion that the keypad was shorted out after spending hours redoing all the grounds and wiring. So decided to redo it. Ordered 14 switches from bocatech, piece of 1/2 inch black plexiglass and seafoam glove box from boat outfitters. Cut the plexiglass and had the switch holes engraved. Wired it all ouiside of the boat then sat the whole dash back in. Found the glove box on boat outfitters that was the perfect size to cover up old wholes from key pads and looks factory in design and color.


Wow, that's a really nice job you did on that !! Great idea on the glove box 8-)


Return to “Cat Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests