Holes in bottom 266sc

Ask questions about the World Cat power catamaran!
Freeryde
Boat Year: 01
Boat Mfg: Worldcat
Boat Model: 266sc

Holes in bottom 266sc

Postby Freeryde » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi guys. I just purchased a 1998 266sc for a friend. Upon inspection of the bottom of the hull there are about 5 holes drilled through the back of the bump that comes down in the middle between the two hulls. They are rear facing and seem to be production? When I looked into the holes I could see raw fiberglass and what looked like the bottom of the anchor locker. Do these holes have a purpose? I don’t have them on my
2003 266sc. I have some small cracks where the sponsons meet the tunnel and was planning to have the bottom gelcoat redone. Should I seal these holes up? Seems like water would be able to get in through them?

808Fishing
Boat Year: 2004
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 330 TE

Re: Holes in bottom 266sc

Postby 808Fishing » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Maybe on the earlier boats they were drilled as anchor storage drainage ? You could call WC and they would know for sure.

dicksboat
Boat Year: 1998
Boat Mfg: Former World Cat owner
Boat Model: Former owner 266SF

Postby dicksboat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:31 pm

Those holes were stock and allow air to be added to the tunnel. WC had a name for the process in their advertising. The added air helps break suction when the hull buries in waves and supposedly increases comfort.
The early hulls were prone to cracking at the forward tunnel to anchor locker joints. MY 1998 266 hull was repaired and reinforced twice in those areas. You need more than a simple gel-cote coverup !
Last edited by dicksboat on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freeryde

Postby Freeryde » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks for the reply dicksboat! I actually called Worldcat and they didn’t know what the holes were for. Given that the later models don’t have them I wonder if it would hurt to seal them up? When I look into the holes I can see raw fiberglass and I know water has to be getting in there. I also thought that in an emergency where the hulls were taking on water and making the boat sit lower in the water those holes could go below the waterline and be a be a hazard? Anyway about the cracks in the bottom, I didn’t notice anything that looked out of place inside the anchor locker. There are no cracks or anything visible. I thought maybe the cracks were from the previous owner slinging the boat out at the boatyard. I have heard that slinging that hull out without a cradle can cause those cracks. What type of repair did you do? And did it fix the problem?

808Fishing

Postby 808Fishing » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Freeryde wrote:Thanks for the reply dicksboat! I actually called Worldcat and they didn’t know what the holes were for. Given that the later models don’t have them I wonder if it would hurt to seal them up? When I look into the holes I can see raw fiberglass and I know water has to be getting in there. I also thought that in an emergency where the hulls were taking on water and making the boat sit lower in the water those holes could go below the waterline and be a be a hazard? Anyway about the cracks in the bottom, I didn’t notice anything that looked out of place inside the anchor locker. There are no cracks or anything visible. I thought maybe the cracks were from the previous owner slinging the boat out at the boatyard. I have heard that slinging that hull out without a cradle can cause those cracks. What type of repair did you do? And did it fix the problem?

I'm surprised WC didn't know !

dicksboat
Boat Year: 1998
Boat Mfg: Former World Cat owner
Boat Model: Former owner 266SF

Postby dicksboat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:46 am

World Cat promoted the '' Vector Flo Hull " that used the triangular bump out in the tunnel too mix air for a "smoother ride". "Vector Flow'" is still listed on the WC website . I assumed the holes added air.
Capture.PNG
I

Freeryde

Postby Freeryde » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:42 pm

Ok so I finally got to the bottom of this mystery. The holes are there to drain water from the anchor locker. In newer models there are drains from the anchor lockers that drain into the hull. Just in case anyone sees this in the future

808Fishing

Postby 808Fishing » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Freeryde wrote:Ok so I finally got to the bottom of this mystery. The holes are there to drain water from the anchor locker. In newer models there are drains from the anchor lockers that drain into the hull. Just in case anyone sees this in the future

My 2004 330TE cat has the same holes, and are the only holes I can find to allow drainage from the anchor stowage.

Return to “Cat Talk”