Twin Trim - Very cool

Talk to us about products and features you'd like to see!
phdoerner
Boat Year: 2008
Boat Mfg: WorldCat
Boat Model: 32 EC

Twin Trim - Very cool

Postby phdoerner » Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 pm

I am the owner of a 2008 32 EC. At this years Miami boat show I Sea trialed the new 32 CC with Scott Ellis. Boat ran great. On that boat was a beta unit for single control of trim (dual up, dual down, roll port, roll starboard, etc) made by Twin Trim. I was impressed by the Trim control and ordered one for my 32 EC. When it arrived, it took me a couple of hours to install it on my Suzuki electronic controls. It was fairly simple to do as much of the install was plug and play. Once installed it was time to run my boat with the Twin Trim unit. John Fraleigh (inventer and manufacturer) talked me through what I should expect in running my boat with the Twin Trim and its added capabilities. I ran it a few weeks ago in my home waters on the West coast of Florida, first in flat water and a week later in Rougher (3-4's) water. It handles smoother and is faster and tighter thru the turns than my previous set up. John was correct when he advisesd me that it may take a little bit to get used to. After a few hours of seat time however, I am very comfortable and love the system. The ability to level my boat with one touch in changing sea conditions is a joy. Also, no longer do I need to look down to adjust the trim one button at a time on the dash mouted Suzuki single trim controls. I dont have/need tabs on my boat, but for those that do, the Twin Trim module will control them as well in conjuction with the motors. For those that may have an interest, i suggest you call John and discuss your current set up and needs. His website is twintrimusa.com.

nulcguy
Boat Year: 2002
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: Leisurecat

Re: Twin Trim - Very cool

Postby nulcguy » Sat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Is World Cat contemplating adding this as an option to production boats in the future. If so, it would go a long way in convincing me of its worlh as an addition to my old leisure cat (2002).

The BEAST
Boat Year: 2007
Boat Model: 330TE
Location: Beast Fishing Charters -- www.beastcharter.com -- Miami, Florida

Postby The BEAST » Sat May 08, 2010 3:30 pm

I'm not fully understanding the fascination with the twintrim set up. I guess its really cool if you run a twisting river like in the video but the majority of us didn't buy a WC to run the Suwannee river. We use our boats offshore. I usually call up my waypoint and set a direct course, not a series of maneuvers and 90 degree turns. On my 330TE, I've never hooked a turn and thrown anyone out of the boat yet... not even when I do a whoopdee bat turn. I can't recall anyone even losing their balance. Seems like it's a gadget. Just one more thing to break. You still have to manually adjust via a joystick. Right? It might be something to gawk at if it was automatic.

To each his own! If you wanted your boat to act and react like a V-hull, why not just buy a V-hull?

No worries! I love my World Cat and the way it handles... right out of the box. No twin trim, no doel-fins, no trim tabs. It's just fine right the way it is. Personally, I would rather invest that money into something like an AP, better electronics, or props. Matter of fact, I'd rather have refrigerated fish boxes instead of carrying all that ice!!!!!
Boat: 07/330TE Motors: Zuke 300 Outriggers:18' Lee Sidewinder-12' Lee C/rigger Navigation: 2-Garmin 3210 Depth finder: GSD 22-1KW/M260 Radar: GMR18 4KW Communication: Standard-Horizon VHF Music: Sony 200W AM/FM/CD, mp3 input, 4 Sony speakers

jfraleigh
Boat Year: 1996
Boat Model: SabreCat

Postby jfraleigh » Mon May 10, 2010 5:21 pm

Beast,
Every time you get a chance you bash my product.....
Have you tried it? NO.....
WHY?
I offered you a demo but because if you wanted to keep it you would have had to pay for it and it's apparent you only endorse products that are given to you for free
As you did with the steering system you were given that you told me about on the phone.......
If it is such a bad idea why is it STANDARD on the new 320cc???????
I'll tell you why
BECAUSE IT WORKS
You are the only person who continually objects to Twin Trim, everybody that has one likes it,
They all have an open ended invitation to return it if they don't, and they have not, WHY?
Because it works
If it was such a waste of time as you claim why are you the only one with an issue,
But they also were willing to spend a little bit of money on some American Ingenuity.
They also had an open enough mind to step back and THINK about it instead of simply shooting there mouth off.
I understand, there's one in every crowd
To everyone else I apologize for this post,
And to my customers
I Thank You for foresight and wisdom

Beast,
I understand your uneducated thoughts on this and so does everyone else
I respectfully request you keep them to yourself until you actually
TRY IT

John Fraleigh
Twin Trim USA

conehead39
Boat Year: 2006
Location: Robbies Marina, Islamorada,FL Brians home305.664.2278 w msg mach

Postby conehead39 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 pm

How much does it cost ??
various packages and labor.
06,33TE,F250TXR Yam,15.5x17x3w sds;bottom micron 66,2house2150Ody;start 2 Dek
ShermanTwr w cont,Lee ORig,Gar 3010wbathy,XM,440uppr.Fur 582L, B258idTD forw bilge.Sim AP16, Icom 402, Shakes 5225XPant.ACREPIRBwGPS. http://www.islamoradafishing.com

JimC
Boat Year: 98
Boat Model: 266 SC

Postby JimC » Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 pm

I rode a 33 once with 300 hpdi's at about 40mph I trimmed one motor all the way up and the other all the way down. The list was very small. It may be a slight convenience on the 33 but I can't see where it would be a major benefit.

Now the 27 is a different story, I can see where it would be of a greater convenience. But even still I have operated the up and down at the same time and can't really say that the response was much better. You put enough hours on the boat and the trim is 2nd nature with out thinking about it.
SOLD~ 98 266SC, 200 optimax's, Custom top extension, Custom dive platform w/automatic ladder, side cabin rod holders, twin transom mount, triple tank/dbl gun holder, Raymarine DS500X, 2-VHF's, Lowrance lmf-400 fuel managment

2011 AmeraCat 31 XP

JimC
Boat Year: 98
Boat Model: 266 SC

Postby JimC » Mon May 10, 2010 9:48 pm

jfraleigh wrote:Beast,

I offered you a demo but because if you wanted to keep it you would have had to pay for it and it's apparent you only endorse products that are given to you for free

John Fraleigh
Twin Trim USA

Had he bought it you would've expected him to endorse it for what? Free, no difference.

Its not necessarily that he thinks the product is bad, just not necessary on the 33.
SOLD~ 98 266SC, 200 optimax's, Custom top extension, Custom dive platform w/automatic ladder, side cabin rod holders, twin transom mount, triple tank/dbl gun holder, Raymarine DS500X, 2-VHF's, Lowrance lmf-400 fuel managment

2011 AmeraCat 31 XP

The BEAST
Boat Year: 2007
Location: Beast Fishing Charters -- www.beastcharter.com -- Miami, Florida

Postby The BEAST » Tue May 11, 2010 12:50 am

jfraleigh wrote:Beast,
Every time you get a chance you bash my product.....
Have you tried it? NO.....
WHY?
As you did with the steering system you were given that you told me about on the phone.......
If it is such a bad idea why is it STANDARD on the new 320cc???????
I'll tell you why
BECAUSE IT WORKS
You are the only person who continually objects to Twin Trim, everybody that has one likes it,
They all have an open ended invitation to return it if they don't, and they have not, WHY?
Because it works
If it was such a waste of time as you claim why are you the only one with an issue,
But they also were willing to spend a little bit of money on some American Ingenuity.
They also had an open enough mind to step back and THINK about it instead of simply shooting there mouth off.
I understand, there's one in every crowd
To everyone else I apologize for this post,
And to my customers
I Thank You for foresight and wisdom

Beast,
I understand your uneducated thoughts on this and so does everyone else
I respectfully request you keep them to yourself until you actually
TRY IT

John Fraleigh
Twin Trim USA

Mr. Fraleigh,

How dare you! You are very rude sir! You talk about FREE! You come on the World Cat website and promote YOUR product, for free. This isn't a twintrim forum! Then you have the gall to tell someone else to keep their opinion to themselves! Exactly who do you think you are? Respectfully? My azz! Show me one quote that bashed your product?!?!? I didn't say a damn thing negative about your gadget. I never said your American ingenuity didn't work. Maybe you ought to reread my posts! What I said was I didn't see all the hooplah about it since the majority of us run a straight line offshore. I said it might be worth it if you are running a winding river but when you set a course offshore for 50 miles it doesn't seem necessary and I would rather have my money spent on something more useful! Like an autopilot for instance!

I guess in your limited thought you think I get my boats for free too! That WOULD be nice!!!! If you took the time to look at my website you would see that I have few endorsement links on my site. Why? I'll have you know that I have been offered many items throughout my carreer and wouldn't take them because I am not a product endorsement whore. I was asked, not too long ago, to do a column here in Miami on fishing products where they gave them to me to test and keep, for free. I asked one simple question... "What if I think the product sucks?" They told me I couldn't say that, so I told them "Thanks, but no thanks!" One thing is for sure, you won't ever buy me. If it were that easy, I would be in a V-hull because those offers come more frequently than you could ever imagine. Not interested. I'd rather BUY my World Cats! You may not like me but no one, including you sir, will ever say that The BEAST doesn't give you an honest opinion! Like it or not, I call 'em like I see 'em!

When World Cat was entertaining the idea of the Teleflex power assist steering, they installed it on my boat because they knew that I would put on the hours necessary to completely test it. If you truly wanted to convince me of your products worth, you would've allowed me to keep it on my boat for a time and give it a real going over. Then if you wanted it back, which is obvious, you could come get it. You called me and set up the date and then some story that you didn't have one available but that you would be back in town a short time thereafter. I emailed you, not called, when you blew me off and I told you that I was not going to waste my time on a quick install and a 5 minute run around the bay on my fuel dollar. That's like doing a World Cat sea trial on a 6" wind ripple. I never heard from you again. What were you afraid of? That I might really give it a good testing and give my honest opinion! I might have thought it was well worth the money, but I guess you weren't willing to chance it!

Contrary to your tirade, I could care less if people buy your Twin Trim's. You can rest assured, that now you will never see one of your units on my boat, full price, wholesale, free, or even if you offered to pay me.

Thank you for your time. Your elloquent post has shown us what a great representative you are of your company!

JimC,

Thank you! I'm glad to see that someone has reading comprehension skills!
Boat: 07/330TE Motors: Zuke 300 Outriggers:18' Lee Sidewinder-12' Lee C/rigger Navigation: 2-Garmin 3210 Depth finder: GSD 22-1KW/M260 Radar: GMR18 4KW Communication: Standard-Horizon VHF Music: Sony 200W AM/FM/CD, mp3 input, 4 Sony speakers

frayed
Boat Year: 2010
Boat Mfg: Donzi 32' Open and East Cape skiff
Boat Model: Looking for a big cat

Postby frayed » Tue May 11, 2010 9:00 am

John, despite the zealous back and forth with Capt Jim, I think it would be worth your while to send him a demo and let him use it for 6 months. From hours that Capt Jim reports he logs/year + a long standing relationship with cats, and world cats in particular, his feedback to you may be quite valuable. But then, that would require both of you to chill out.

OTOH, it seems an experienced cat operator will benefit the least from the TT device as engine trim adjustments will likely have become second nature with the individual trim switches.

Also, having been on John's boat the TT setup has a huge effect on roll, does prevent that hull from 'catching' in a turn, and does assist in sloppy conditions in keeping the bow parallel with the horizon. But that's on a 24' 3,000 lb planing cat with a beam less than 9'. Obviously the 33 is a whole different animal. I guess that's what Jim C is saying.
Jeff, North Padre Island, TX
Andros Bonefish panga (for sale)
ECC Lostmen skiff
Shopping for a 330TE

conehead39
Boat Year: 2006
Location: Robbies Marina, Islamorada,FL Brians home305.664.2278 w msg mach

Postby conehead39 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:07 am

06,33TE,F250TXR Yam,15.5x17x3w sds;bottom micron 66,2house2150Ody;start 2 Dek
ShermanTwr w cont,Lee ORig,Gar 3010wbathy,XM,440uppr.Fur 582L, B258idTD forw bilge.Sim AP16, Icom 402, Shakes 5225XPant.ACREPIRBwGPS. http://www.islamoradafishing.com

Return to “New Product Talk”