New Garmin NMEA 2000 Guage

Talk to us about products and features you'd like to see!
CapedCat
Boat Year: 2005
Boat Mfg: WorldCat
Boat Model: 250SF

New Garmin NMEA 2000 Guage

Postby CapedCat » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:16 pm

I just read an ad for this unit from Garmin. This looks to me to be a very hot item for those of us with engines that "talk the talk" (NMEA 2000). Around $250 per guage and you can read all sorts of information from your engine INCLUDING fuel flow (cheaper than mechanical guages and more accurate). Along with the NMEA 2000 capability, it is also backward-compatible with NMEA 0183.

CC
'05 250SF, Suz 140s, Jack Plates, 2 3010Cs w/XM Wthr & Radio, GSD22, Sony, EPIRB, S1000AP, Removeable Baitwell on Swim Platform, 600' on Plow Anchor, 300' on Grapnel, Windlass, 26 Vert Rod Holders total (7 removeable), SMIS NMEA 2000, 1KW TM258

stevepoy
Boat Year: 2006
Boat Mfg: World Cat
Boat Model: 330TE

Re: New Garmin NMEA 2000 Guage

Postby stevepoy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 pm

I am having my local Suzuki dealer install a Suzuki NMEA 200 multifunction gauge on my 06 33TE w/250 zukes. The 4" gauge will give me all the info from the computers from each motor, including fuel flow and all other info, I am also having them hook a 2000 cable to my Garmin 4200 display so I will have the display on my Garmin as well. I hope it all works and I will let you know how it goes. The cost for material and labor was est. at around $ 850.00, whitch I thought was reasonable. The reason I will have the dealer do this is for warantee purposes. Will be installed in March. Capt. Steve/China Doll
2006 33TE, Twin 250 Zukes, Garmin 4212/4208, radar, 1KW ducer, XM weather,Garmin GHC10 Autopilot, Warwick,RI

keywest49
Boat Year: 1999
Boat Mfg: WC
Boat Model: 266SC

Postby keywest49 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:11 am

Steve,

Please post after the install about how well the gauge works. I am interested knowing which data points can be displayed from the engines. There seems to be some confusion regarding what the gauge can display, and of those, which ones are actually sent to the gauge from the engine.

Keep us informed

Capt Jim
*SOLD* 1999 266SC w/2006 Suzuki DF200s, Garmin GPS 2006 chartplotter, Garmin GPS376 plotter w/XM weather Furuno 24 nm radar, Raymarine S1000 autopilot

CapedCat

Postby CapedCat » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Steve:

I am also very interested in the actual output to the gauge.... I had estimated somewhere near the number you cited as being the cost to add fuel flow meters that were mechanical (flow sensor in-line after the water separator). I have been considering "networking" the boat with NMEA2000 cabling, bow to stern, so I could add NMEA2000 devices anywhere, anytime. My Garmin 3010C doesn't do '2000 (only '0183) but I've seen a number of "gauges" that do. I'm also considering adding a second Garmin unit (new, '2000 compatible) so I don't have to crowd the current screen. I would love to be able to remove the current gauges (tach, volts, tilt and fuel level) and all the associated wiring and hook up a couple of 4" multi-display '2000 screens to replace all that (and add the fuel flow with all the other engine information available).

I am particularly interested in the fuel flow output from the Suzuki engines. If I can get that for about the same cost as "regular" fuel flow gauges, I won't hesitate... especially with all the other information available any time I decide. I am also interested if the gauge provides the ability to set an alarm based on one of the inputs. For example, there are now '2000 fuel level sensors available. I would like to set an alarm at a certain fuel level so I could put the fuel level output on one of the alternate displays once I'm underway... same thing with the voltage. With alarms on those, I would only need the tach and tilt constantly displayed (and probably the fuel flow).

WorldCat: If it isn't already an option from the factory, I suggest making NMEA2000 networking available..... as a matter of fact, make it standard equipment! I think all the new engines have '2000 output and I think it would make your installation/rigging process much easier along with providing the customer a much more flexible boat when it comes to adding/changing electronics. I think it would also be much more reliable. My 250SF is about 2 1/2 years old and I have to "gently tap" one of my tachs and one of my volt gauges to get them "unstuck" from time to time. NMEA2000 is all digital output so these electro-mechanical glitches would disappear. Most units also have multiple display options... for example, you can display a tach that "looks" like an analog device but is actually digital (for those "old school" types).... unless you think wireless networking over IP networking are coming soon....

CC
'05 250SF, Suz 140s, Jack Plates, 2 3010Cs w/XM Wthr & Radio, GSD22, Sony, EPIRB, S1000AP, Removeable Baitwell on Swim Platform, 600' on Plow Anchor, 300' on Grapnel, Windlass, 26 Vert Rod Holders total (7 removeable), SMIS NMEA 2000, 1KW TM258

JimC
Boat Year: 98
Boat Model: 266 SC

Postby JimC » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:50 am

I just bought the Lowrance LMF-400 this is what they use for the suzuki. I've been researching this fuel flow stuff quite a bit as I havn't wanted to put to much $ into the older engines not knowing wether I will repower, rebuild, or reboat.
I bought the LMF-400 from the boat show with both fuel sensors for $200. This is nmea2k which doesn't work on my motors but I wanted it for fuel mangmnt. There is converter that will convert the nmea0183 from my garmin to the nmea2k for about $100, so that I can have mpg.
Prior to the boat show I found the best price from John @ J & H marine http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Fuel_Mo ... _Guage.htm
I would have went with the Garmin (color screen and just as capable) but it was more than I wanted to go right now. West marine has it listed for $279 but its not available yet (should be available nxt month) and the fuel sensors are $100 ea
Caped cat the lmf-400 has numerouse alarms (has to be attached to external speaker I believe) I'm not concerned with those but I believe they will do all that you want. Go to the Lowrance website and you can download the manual in pdf.
The lmf-400 will give you all the info on one gauge you can split the screen to get 4 diff. data at once. You may want a 2nd gauge only to see more info with out changing screens. additional gauge is about $100.
SOLD~ 98 266SC, 200 optimax's, Custom top extension, Custom dive platform w/automatic ladder, side cabin rod holders, twin transom mount, triple tank/dbl gun holder, Raymarine DS500X, 2-VHF's, Lowrance lmf-400 fuel managment

2011 AmeraCat 31 XP

stevepoy

Postby stevepoy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 am

Jim, CC, check out this site: http://store.brownspoint.com/suzuki_page_31.asp Capt. Steve
2006 33TE, Twin 250 Zukes, Garmin 4212/4208, radar, 1KW ducer, XM weather,Garmin GHC10 Autopilot, Warwick,RI

stevepoy

Postby stevepoy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:11 am

Just an update my boat is going to the marina Monday to have the gauge installed. I will let you know how it works soon. Steve

CapedCat

Postby CapedCat » Thu May 01, 2008 9:11 pm

I recently acquired Suzuki SMIS NMEA 2000 guages (Lowrance), cabling, etc. The overall installation was a snap. The connectors for the engine interface units are easy to access. Routing the cables is also easy thanks to the nice job WC does with the routing tubes running from the transom area to the center console.

After the insallation, I got everything set just the way I wanted but I was unable to get the trim to work properly... showed a -1 trim value and the indicators were stuck at the bottom. I purchased the equipment from Brown's Point Marine so I called them since on my original order, I ordered extra Ts and Terminators (always nice to have spares), and the extra terminators were missing but appeared on the invoice.

First, they said no problem on the terminators and said they would immediately ship the two missing items. I then asked if they could provide tech support for the guages.... Sure thing! They transferred me to the tech and the guy walked me through the "work around" in a matter of minutes.

If you acquire these guages and are unable to get the trim to work properly, complete your boat setup of the guages, add the appropriate page for the trim and then go back to the boat setup and clear the configuration of the engine interface. From there, configure the engine interface again (you don't have to go through the entire boat setup... just configure the interface by telling it what kind of engine you have and whether it's the port or starboard engine). That's it. The trim now functions properly. On the Suzukis, you don't even have to set the upper/lower limits. They have that information built in to the information sent to the NMEA guages.

Also, to view this page (or several others), you can specify it as one of your "pop-up" pages so that when you hit the tilt/trim button, the trim guage will pop up while you are adjusting it and then go away in a couple of seconds. You can make a number of the other screens appear as pop-ups as well. The trim for both engines is shown on one guage, so in the corresponding page sequence on the other guage, I set the "Sync" page to appear. I haven't taken the boat out far since installing and haven't used it "for real", so I will probably be changing my page views/sequence once I have.

I had a new dash panel fabricated locally for $60. It's a piece of 3/16" Lexan with the back side painted black. The fabricator cut all the holes where I requested for all of my devices, dressed and polished the edges and pre-drilled everything to match my old panel except for 3 holes that didn't originally line up with the mounting locations... I drilled those myself after I got the piece back to install. The photo doesn't really do justice to the panel... the 3/16" of clear Lexan with the black backing looks better live and in person. I took the photo at night while I was working at removing some "sticky stuff" from the top of the center console. As you can see, the panel is much less cluttered (no voltage guages or trim guages) when compared with the old guages layout.

Total cost from Brown's Point Marine for the following equipment was just a bit over $700. As I said, I did the installation myself.

Two 4" SMIS guages (came with T connector and mounting hardware)
Two chrome trim rings
Two engine interface cables (came with T connector)
Power cable (came with T connector)
25' Main backbone cable
2 Male Terminators
2 Female Terminators
4 Extra Ts

CC
Attachments
BoatGuagesOld.JPG
NewGuages.JPG

tajon
Boat Year: 1998
Boat Model: 246SF, Suzuki DF140, Garmins, 18' tacos

Postby tajon » Thu May 08, 2008 7:58 am

that is a nice looking console. wish my 98 looked that nice.

1998 246SF, DF140 Suzukis, Garmin 198C, Si-Tex SVS 650, P66, 18' Tacos

CapedCat

Postby CapedCat » Thu May 08, 2008 10:07 am

If you have a plastics fabricator handy, you can make it so....

CC

Return to “New Product Talk”